Questions? Call 416-367-4222

Canadian residents are taxable in Canada on their world income. This includes income or capital gains earned offshore, such as through the rental or sale of a foreign property such as a vacation condominium in the Caribbean or elsewhere. Failure to report such income is tax evasion and is punishable by a fine or even a jail term. A voluntary disclosure will avoid prosecution and penalties.


"This article provides information of a general nature only. It is only current at the posting date. It is not updated and it may no longer be current. It does not provide legal advice nor can it or should it be relied upon. All tax situations are specific to their facts and will differ from the situations in the articles. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer."

Get your CRA tax issue solved

Address: Rotfleisch & Samulovitch P.C.
2822 Danforth Avenue Toronto, Ontario M4C 1M1

Canadian residents are taxable in Canada on their world income
Picture of spiral notebook beside keyboard with purple post it note reading taxes
How To Interpret a Tax Treaty – Guidance from a Canadian Tax Lawyer
Canadian Lawyer Analysis – The Supreme Court of Canada Holds that Tax Treaty Shopping Does Not Constitute Abuse Within the Meaning of the General Anti-Avoidance Rule (Canada v. Alta Energy Luxembourg S.A.R.L.)
The T1135 Foreign-Reporting Exemption & Canadian Cryptocurrency-Trading Businesses & Canadian NFT-Trading Business: Are Canadian Cryptocurrency and NFT Traders Required to File a T1135 Form?
2021 Updates for T1134: Canadian Tax Lawyer's Perspective
2021 Updates for T1134: Canadian Tax Lawyer’s Perspective
Specified Foreign Property: Canadian Tax Lawyer's Guide
Specified Foreign Property: Canadian Tax Lawyer’s Guide
overflow: hidden;
Tax Treaty Residence Determination: Canadian Tax Lawyer Guide
Foreign Pension Income Taxation – A Canadian Tax Lawyer Analysis
Canadian Citizen with a US Greencard