Questions? Call 416-367-4222

Published: April 13, 2020

Last Updated: April 13, 2020

Child SIN required to contribute to a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)


If you’re planning to contribute to a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) for your child to take advantage of the new Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG) program, your child will need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) before the RESP plan administrator can apply for the CESG.


"This article provides information of a general nature only. It is only current at the posting date. It is not updated and it may no longer be current. It does not provide legal advice nor can it or should it be relied upon. All tax situations are specific to their facts and will differ from the situations in the articles. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer."

Get your CRA tax issue solved

Address: Rotfleisch & Samulovitch P.C.
2822 Danforth Avenue Toronto, Ontario M4C 1M1