Questions? Call 416-367-4222

Published: March 12, 2020

Last Updated: April 13, 2020

Individuals or corporations leaving Canada are subject to what is usually referred to as a departure tax. For individuals emigrating from Canada there is a deemed disposition of most assets, resulting in tax on the capital gain realized as a result of the deemed disposition. The provisions for corporations are complex but they attempt to mimic capital gains that would occur if the corporation were sold, taking into account accumulated PUC (paid up capital), debts/obligations and any prior emigration or branch tax paid by the corporation on a previous emigration that occurred prior to 1996.


"This article provides information of a general nature only. It is only current at the posting date. It is not updated and it may no longer be current. It does not provide legal advice nor can it or should it be relied upon. All tax situations are specific to their facts and will differ from the situations in the articles. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer."

Get your CRA tax issue solved

Address: Rotfleisch & Samulovitch P.C.
2822 Danforth Avenue Toronto, Ontario M4C 1M1