Questions? Call 416-367-4222

Published: April 10, 2020

Last Updated: October 21, 2022

If you are leaving Canada and want to determine your tax status, the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency provides form NR73 Determination of Residency Status (Leaving Canada) if you want to obtain an official determination. This is essentially a questionnaire in which you provide details of your residential ties or lack of them. Normally our Calgary tax attorneys submit supplemental information to CRA to support the non-resident status of our Canadian tax clients. To become a non-resident of Canada you must divest yourself of as many residential ties as possible. Proper pre-departure planning is essential. For assistance in becoming a non resident of Canada contact one of our top Calgary tax attorneys for assistance.


"This article provides information of a general nature only. It is only current at the posting date. It is not updated and it may no longer be current. It does not provide legal advice nor can it or should it be relied upon. All tax situations are specific to their facts and will differ from the situations in the articles. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer."

Get your CRA tax issue solved

Address: Rotfleisch & Samulovitch P.C.
2822 Danforth Avenue Toronto, Ontario M4C 1M1