Questions? Call 416-367-4222

Individuals with grown children who own their own homes or with no children should consider donating an interest in a personal residence to a charity. If the donor wishes to continue to have use of the property for the remainder of his or her lifetime, a residual interest in the property could be gifted to the charity currently without the use of a trust. The donor will receive an income tax receipt for the value of the residual interest transferred. Provided that the home is a principal residence, there will be no taxable capital gain.


"This article provides information of a general nature only. It is only current at the posting date. It is not updated and it may no longer be current. It does not provide legal advice nor can it or should it be relied upon. All tax situations are specific to their facts and will differ from the situations in the articles. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer."

Get your CRA tax issue solved

Address: Rotfleisch & Samulovitch P.C.
2822 Danforth Avenue Toronto, Ontario M4C 1M1

Donating an interest in a personal residence to a charity?
Gifting shares of a publicly traded company
Tax Court Rules That Gift Of Shares Of A Private Corporation To A Foundation Was Ineligible For A Charitable Tax Credit
CRA Tax Audit Of Loss Carryovers Exceeding $200,000
CRA Tax Audit of Loss Carryovers Exceeding $200,000
Donation Tax Shelter, Roher v. the Queen
Losses On Investment in a small business corporation may be claimed as a business investment loss
An Allowable Business Invesment Loss
Loss On Investment
Will & estate planning: Main Purpose