Questions? Call 416-367-4222

Published: March 12, 2020

Last Updated: March 16, 2020

Individuals with grown children who own their own homes or with no children should consider donating an interest in a personal residence to a charity. If the donor wishes to continue to have use of the property for the remainder of his or her lifetime, a residual interest in the property could be gifted to the charity currently without the use of a trust. The donor will receive an income tax receipt for the value of the residual interest transferred. Provided that the home is a principal residence, there will be no taxable capital gain


"This article provides information of a general nature only. It is only current at the posting date. It is not updated and it may no longer be current. It does not provide legal advice nor can it or should it be relied upon. All tax situations are specific to their facts and will differ from the situations in the articles. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer."

Get your CRA tax issue solved

Address: Rotfleisch & Samulovitch P.C.
2822 Danforth Avenue Toronto, Ontario M4C 1M1