Questions? Call 416-367-4222

Individual Canadian immigrants are exempt from the requirements to file a T1135 information return for the year in which they first become Residents of Canada. While new Canadian residents do not have to file the T1135 form, they still have to report all of their worldwide income including any foreign source pensions. It’s also important to realize that residence for Canadian income tax purposes is not the same as landed immigrant status. Our top Canadian tax lawyers can advise if you have become a Canadian tax resident.


"This article provides information of a general nature only. It is only current at the posting date. It is not updated and it may no longer be current. It does not provide legal advice nor can it or should it be relied upon. All tax situations are specific to their facts and will differ from the situations in the articles. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer."

Get your CRA tax issue solved

Address: Rotfleisch & Samulovitch P.C.
2822 Danforth Avenue Toronto, Ontario M4C 1M1

First-Year Resident T1135 Information Return Exemption
ontario college of dentists
Taxation of Testamentary Trusts – Canadian Tax Lawyer Analysis
Infamous Canadian Money Laundering Schemes
Henson Trusts: Supreme Court Clarifies and Approves
CRA’s Collection Tax Debts From Third-Parties
Canadian Snowbirds Should Know These US Tax Residence Rules – Tips from A Canadian Tax Lawyer
Witholding tax on Payments to Canadian Non-resident
Reorganization for New Eligible Capital Property (Goodwill) Rules
Toronto Tax Lawyer Tax Planning for Optimizing Your Medical Tax Claim