Questions? Call 416-367-4222

Published: March 18, 2020

Last Updated: April 13, 2020

If you have invested money with a private Canadian corporation carrying on an active business, including your own corporation, and the debt becomes uncollectible you can deduct 50% of the loss as an allowable business investment loss (ABIL) in computing your personal Canadian income tax liability.


"This article provides information of a general nature only. It is only current at the posting date. It is not updated and it may no longer be current. It does not provide legal advice nor can it or should it be relied upon. All tax situations are specific to their facts and will differ from the situations in the articles. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer."

Get your CRA tax issue solved

Address: Rotfleisch & Samulovitch P.C.
2822 Danforth Avenue Toronto, Ontario M4C 1M1