Questions? Call 416-367-4222

Published: March 5, 2020

Last Updated: April 16, 2020

Social Security Totalization Agreement

If a Canadian is transferring to a country with which Canada has a Social Security Totalization Agreement, he or she may be exempt from contributions to the host country pension plan and continue to pay into CPP/QPP. (Quebec has its own agreements with certain countries.) For a country with which Canada (or Quebec) does not have an agreement, it may be possible, if beneficial, to voluntarily pay into both pension plans although it does increase contribution costs.


"This article provides information of a general nature only. It is only current at the posting date. It is not updated and it may no longer be current. It does not provide legal advice nor can it or should it be relied upon. All tax situations are specific to their facts and will differ from the situations in the articles. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer."

Get your CRA tax issue solved

Address: Rotfleisch & Samulovitch P.C.
2822 Danforth Avenue Toronto, Ontario M4C 1M1