Questions? Call 416-367-4222

Published: April 10, 2020

Last Updated: April 10, 2020

If you spend more than 183 days a year living in the United States (with a portion of your time in the U.S. in the previous two years counting towards this total) you could be deemed a U.S. resident for tax purposes and be required to file a U.S. income tax return. However the Canada-US tax treaty may provide you with some relief.


"This article provides information of a general nature only. It is only current at the posting date. It is not updated and it may no longer be current. It does not provide legal advice nor can it or should it be relied upon. All tax situations are specific to their facts and will differ from the situations in the articles. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer."

Get your CRA tax issue solved

Address: Rotfleisch & Samulovitch P.C.
2822 Danforth Avenue Toronto, Ontario M4C 1M1