Questions? Call 416-367-4222

Published: April 11, 2020

Last Updated: April 11, 2020

If you transfer money to a minor child and it earns capital gains instead of interest or dividends, the capital gain would be reported on your child’s tax return, not on yours, thereby reducing the family’s overall Canadian income tax liability.


"This article provides information of a general nature only. It is only current at the posting date. It is not updated and it may no longer be current. It does not provide legal advice nor can it or should it be relied upon. All tax situations are specific to their facts and will differ from the situations in the articles. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer."

Get your CRA tax issue solved

Address: Rotfleisch & Samulovitch P.C.
2822 Danforth Avenue Toronto, Ontario M4C 1M1

Income Splitting with Child
Marginal Tax Rates Explained by Toronto Tax Lawyer
Marginal Tax Rates Explained by Toronto Tax Lawyer
offshore assets
Lower Tax Liability By Using Prescribed Rate Loans for Income Splitting
Amendments to the Income Tax Act – Split Income (TOSI) Rules
Loan Income Splitting Tax Planning
Income-Diversion Rules: Section 56 of the Income Tax Act
Reasonable Salaries to Spouse or Children
Income Splitting Attribution Rules
Proposed Tax Amendments Announced for Income Splitting